Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Burlap Wreath!




 So I made this wreath a few months ago, it was my first project I'd tried in a while and actually my first wreath. I love all things burlap and a wreath just seemed like a perfect accent piece to our front door.


I searched and searched pinterest and other blogs I personally follow for their means of making a wreath. I finally decided on a wire wreath from from Jo Ann's and tied the burlap strips around the wire form.



I really didn't know if I wanted to tie around all four wire circles or just three, but when I tried it any other way, it just look funny to me. So I ended up tying around all four, starting with the wiring that attached all four circles. Then I crammed as many tied burlap straps between the previous ones as I could.



My burlap strips were approximately two inches wide and eight to 10 inches long. They weren't all cut perfectly at the same exact size for, you know, like...authenticity. Or whatever.

I also had to decide which section was going to be the top for my wreath hook to sit. That was fun. I want everything to look symmetrical, so making sure I picked a good spot was important. Laugh all you want!

Once the burlap was all on and the ends were sitting like I wanted, I also had to decide where my fabric rosettes were going. Again, symmetrical and whatnot.



These fabric rosettes were made from some scrap fabric. A friend of mine gave me the green/gray colored fabric and the orange is from an old maternity shirt. It's hard to tell by the picture, but the orange is actually white and orange striped. Don't ask why I had a white and orange striped maternity shirt.

I used brown construction paper as a base for my rosettes. I glued the end of the fabric down with my hot glue gun. Once that was set, I twisted the fabric and then hot glued the fabric to itself and the construction paper and let that set. Once to the end, I made sure that was glued down really well.

I also used alligator clips for the rosettes. I glued the flat part of the alligator clip to the construction paper, let it set. Then I just use the clip to attach to a knot in the burlap.

Now, let me tell you. As cute as this thing was, and yes I mean WAS, it just made me so mad. The hot glue didn't keep the alligator clips attached to the construction paper to keep the rosettes on the wreath. Currently, there is just this sun-stained ugly burlap flopping around on what is considered a wreath on my front door.

I'll fix it eventually.


-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment