Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade Playdough!

I have always steered clear of playdough. I'm not sure why, seeing as I absolutely loved it as a child. I loved when my mama would just set me loose in the kitchen and on the table with a flour/water mixture and all of the cookie cutters in sight. Favorite past time as a five year old. Ever.

So although I'm a bit late on this, I made some for the girls. I looked and looked at recipes online until my eyes couldn't take it anymore. After seeing that this recipe had such great success and was pinned and repinned on Pinterest, I decided on it. And, well, I just am in love with adelynSTONE and everything that it entails!


 Ingredients:

 1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
(I used safflower oil)
2 tsp cream of tartar
Food coloring
(I only had neon)


Here comes the tricky part:
Mix all of the ingredients together, warm over medium heat on the stove, stirring as you go. When the dough starts to form, remove from heat and knead by hand.

That's it. That's all there is to it.
But I hate that it's so simple, so I'm going to break it down for you. Not that you can't figure it out, but because I like to be thorough. :]



This is Miss Claire. I had her help me a bit before sending her pretty little head to bed. I just want to pinch her cheeeeeeks.

Back to the recipe, though.

You can add the ingredients in any order, I always tend to mix my dry ingredients and then add a wet, mix, then add the next wet ingredient, etc. Baker at heart, you know. Once the ingredients are well mixed with minimal clumps, I added my food coloring.

 


 Claire couldn't stop giggling, then gasping, then acting scared. She really had every range of emotion during this. She just wasn't sure. After the dough was done, it took her about thirty minutes of sitting with me next to her with the dough for her to touch it. It was a funny experience.

Mix the colors thoroughly and then move the pot over to the stove. I used a larger stove eye for more coverage of the bottom of the pot. Who knows if it makes a difference. That's just the way my mind works.






 Don't stop stirring. Not even to take a picture. Have someone else there. Because when I stopped for a photo op, this is what happened:



And so I panicked! I didn't want it to burn! But, of course, I had used my old crappy pot. So it was bound to happen anyways. So I just worked quickly to scrape the bottom and the sides, making sure to mold the dough together a bit.


  

Once formed and there were no liquid-y parts, I plopped the dough out onto my counter. It looks rather ugly at this point. Not very desirable. 




I kneaded like my life depended on it. Why? Because it was hot! Although it felt good at first, it became way too hot. I looked like a crazy person trying to knead this hot dough.




 See my poor hand! It was a rather interesting experience, I'll tell ya that much. It was somewhat therapeutic. Like the whole hot stones on your back thing. I'm guessing it's like that. I wouldn't know. (Hint hint, husband...)



 

Over at adelynSTONE, KristanLynn used baby food jars to store the dough. I used color coordinated plastic kids' storage. Go figure.

We have our playdough sitting in our hall closet, hidden by our tower of towels. We have a very sneaky six year old and I wouldn't put it past her to find it and play with it in the mornings before we get out of bed. So. Hidden, it is.

P.S. I know there was mention of glitter over at adelynSTONE but glitter and my husband just do NOT get along. :]


-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment